The Department of Energy estimates that water heating can account for 18% of the energy consumed in your home. Learn about saving energy with water heating.
When selecting a new eater heater, choose a system that will not only provide ample hot water, but will also operate efficiently. There are multiple types of heaters available including:
- Conventional storage water heaters offer a ready reservoir (storage tank) of hot water
- Tankless or demand-type water heaters heat water directly without the use of a storage tank
- Heat pump water heaters move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly for providing hot water
- Solar water heaters use the sun’s heat to provide hot water
- Tankless coil and indirect water heaters use a home’s space heating system to heat water