A quick way to begin managing your electric usage is to start with lighting.
- Saving energy can be as simple as turning off a light when you are not in the room.
- Switching to compact fluorescent light (CFL) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs can also make a dent in your utility bill.
- CFL bulbs use ¼ the electricity that an incandescent one does and they last up to 10 times longer.
- LED bulbs use only 20-25% of the energy of an incandescent bulb and last 8 to 25 times longer.
- Keep bulbs clean: dust can cut light output by as much as 25 percent.
- To begin changing out bulbs in your home, you will find the most efficiency in replacing ones used the most or for extended amounts of time and ones difficult to reach.