Record temperatures this week are giving our air conditioning systems a workout. To stay cool and save money during this heat wave, here are a few tips:
- Keep blinds and window coverings closed to keep out warm sunrays.
- Avoid using heat-producing appliances such as clothes dryers during the hotter parts of the day.
- Use ceiling fans to recirculate are. Doing so can make it feel up to four degrees cooler in your home.
- Change AC filters monthly. Dirty filters force your HVAC system to work harder as they struggle to push air through, making it warmer in your home and using more electricity.
- Close gaps around window AC units to avoid loss of the cold air they produce and keep warm air from seeping in.
- Consider grilling or cooking outside to avoid ovens or stove tops from heating up your kitchen.
- Clean debris away from outdoor HVAC units and give them a good cleaning to help them operate more efficiently keeping you cool and saving you money.
Please remember to monitor the heat index, drink plenty of water, and avoid working for long periods in the heat of the day.
For other ways to stay cool and lower your utility costs, visit our Save Money section.